Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Do you know where the shutoff is located and could you locate it in the case of an emergency? If not, that’s okay. Many people do not know where to locate their water and gas shut offs.
If the leak is from a sink or a toilet, it is easy to turn off the water for that line by turning the valve that is located beneath or beside the fixture.
Typically, these shut offs lie on the exterior of the home around the perimeter of the building. Once you have found the shut off, make sure that all members of your household know where it is. The quicker you are able to turn off the water, the less damage is caused.
What if you're not sure where the leak is coming from? It could be a pipe behind your wall, under your home, or somewhere that is hard to locate. In this case, you should turn off the water to the whole house. This means locating the water main shutoff.
If you experience water damage in your home, whether from a busted pipe, leafy roof, or natural occurrence, call SERVPRO of North Prince William County at 703-368-4388. Follow our water damage tips - https://www.SERVPROnorthprincewilliamcounty.com/water-damage-tips
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (703) 368-4399
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.